English |Español | Chinese | Hindi | Vietnamese | Korean | Japanese |Tagalog | Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter YouTube Google+ LinkedIn Foursquare Pinterest Follow Reeve on Instagram

Reeve Foundation Paralysis Community

The platform that enables you to build rich, interactive communities
Welcome to Reeve Foundation Paralysis Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What are the top 10 things that annoy people in wheelchairs?

Last post 05-20-2010, 1:56 PM by ravenpac. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-10-2010, 7:29 AM 70216

What are the top 10 things that annoy people in wheelchairs?

We are trying to put together a list of the top 10 things that annoy people in wheelchairs. We may even have a vote. The purpose is to make people more aware. Leave your list. As few or as many as you like.

Thanks,

Rob

Fan us on Facebook Fan the Reeve Foundation. Follow us on Twitter Follow the Reeve Foundation.
    YouTube Subscribe to the Reeve Foundation on YouTube.
    Reeve Foundation Paralysis Community Join our Reeve Foundation Paralysis Community.

Rob Gerth
    Director Digital Media
    Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation
    (800) 225-0292 ext. 7123
    "Nothing good is a miracle, nothing lovely is a dream."

Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/reevefoundation
  •  03-10-2010, 8:24 AM 70218 in reply to 70216

Re: What are the top 10 things that annoy people in wheelchairs?

The thing that annoys me the most is the idea that people in wheelchairs need help all of the time and for the simplest things. I don't need any help with that stuff. I raise 3 children, do most of my own house work, cook and even get outside and do the yard work. I damaged my legs, not my abilities.
  •  03-10-2010, 11:06 AM 70222 in reply to 70218

Perfect!

ProfessirX emailed me these:

1 - Waiting months for wheelchair repairs
    2 - Unable to feel sex
    3- The champagne room upstairs in clubs, disable men like lap dances too
    4- Hotels accessible rooms don't have adjustable beds
    5 - Pressure sores from airplane seats
    6 -  Snow in accessible parking spots
    7 - No accessible restaurant seating spaces
    8 - Can't get on beaches

Rob Gerth
    Director Digital Media
    (800) 225-0292 ext. 7123

•  03-10-2010, 11:22 AM 70224 in reply to 70222

I get annoyed when the handicapped/disabled parking spaces don't have a curb cut. Or, just as bad, the cut is at the other end of a long sidewalk, which is OK on nice days, not so good in inclement weather.

Donna
  •  03-11-2010, 12:02 PM 70241 in reply to 70224

The North East got hit with a decent amount of snow this winter and with snow comes the "where to put it" issue. I noticed at several differant locations around my area (usually smaller lots) many of theses lovely snow piles where located where handicapped parking spots where supposed to be. Obvious melted now but still not cool in my eyes.

•  03-15-2010, 7:45 PM 70302 in reply to 70241

Perhaps the biggest thing that annoys me the most, is when people pat me on the head. I think it's the rudest thing a person can do to a person in a wheelchair.

Love is like the wind, you can't see it, but you can feel it.
  •  05-01-2010, 9:18 PM 71061 in reply to 70216

I find it annoying that people get annoyed with us because they can't see us "down here" and run into us with their carts in the stores. People can be downright mean! Or they go around you and then stop right in front of you and you have to stop right away. People assume that something like this could never happen to them and I pray it never does, but they can be so cruel! There are alot of really nice ones too, but they get overshadowed by the others. I will NEVER complain about someone offering to help me with something. It is better than getting cursed at!
  •  05-02-2010, 12:40 AM 71062 in reply to 70216

Ok, I am a fairly new sci, 8 months post injury. So, I havn't been out to much but I am already annoyed by a few things and ready to take some action! I live in Florida so I am constantly fighting the ablebodied "aging" population for handicaped parking spots. My husband and I joke that we are going to make a documentary on those that park in handicap and then walk the mall for hours. Another issue I have is that I have two young children that like to go shopping. I am a C7 quad and still have some balance issues so I have a hard time getting clothes down for them. I can almost never get an associate to help me. I think that stores, especially large ones, should make it mandatory that once a handicaped shopper has been spotted personal assistance should be offered for entire shopping trip. Don't get me wrong, I have been asked if I have needed assistance some and it is greatly appreciated, just not enough. I realize that some wheelchair users do not want or need the help, but we should have that option. My money is still green, I just may need a little help spending it.
  •  05-06-2010, 10:27 AM 71120 in reply to 71062

The poll results are in!!

View them here.

Rob

Rob Gerth
    Director Digital Media
    (800) 225-0292 ext. 7123

•  05-20-2010, 1:56 PM 71407 in reply to 70218

Head injuries are invisible. It is a huge frustration when people label me/us as "able-bodied".......how self-righteous can you get to judge people where they park and go to the bathroom? You folks in wheel chairs aren't the only ones out there !!!
View as RSS news feed in XML